Friday, July 23, 2010

Gluten-free Baked Cucumber Fries

If you've tasted zuchini fries, you'll enjoy these. Tho they aren't actually fried, I decided to keep calling them fries because that's what people are used to. I recommend you use egg substitute if allergic to eggs as I am, it works just fine for this purpose. So, I promised I would share the recipe if they tasted good, and here it is:

Gluten-free Baked Cucumber Fries:
2 medium cucumbers
1/4 cup egg or substitute
1/4 cup teff flour
1/4 cup All Purpose Gluten Free Flour (I used the stuff from Bob's Mill)
1 tablespoon white cheddar cheese powder (or appropriate vegan substitute)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Spray oil
baking tray/cookie sheet

Preheat oven to 475
Cut cucumbers in thirds and then each third into halves and then each half into thirds again. (equal portions makes for equal cooking time)
Mix dry ingredients (flour and cheese mixture)
Coat cucumber slices in egg substitute
coat cucumber slices in flour mixture
spray baking tray with spray oil
Place coated cucumber slices on tray so they are not touching

Place in oven for 3 minutes, then turn 1/3 and spray lightly with cooking oil. 3 more minutes, then repeat, cook for 3 more minutes or until golden brown.

These were so delicious I ate the entire batch for lunch. They were crunchy on the outside, soft and hot on the inside. YUM!  Happy birthday to me!

No comments: