Sunday, December 12, 2010

Red Tomato and Bell Pepper Soup

I used to like the occasional tomato soup, and I love bell peppers, so the recipe sounded good except of course it had some things I was allergic to in it, and it was meant as a cold soup. I am not big on cold soups with onion in them, so I altered the recipe slightly, and we tried cooking it. YUM! I actually like this with all the veggies blended and run through the strainer, cuz then you can drink it like a hot cup of soup should be drunk on a winter lay a bed morning. But if you're wanting something to chew, prep and cook this as stated:

Ingredients

3 medium plum tomatoes
2 yellow bell peppers
1 small red onion
2 cloves minced garlic
3 cups tomato juice (low sodium)
1 1/2 cups non fat plain yogurt (dannon)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper


Directions

Chop vegetables, blend 1/2 vegetables and strain through fine strainer. Cook in a soup pot on medium for 10 minutes. Add remaining chopped vegetables. Can be served cool or hot. Delicous with shrimp if you're a seafood eater.

Number of Servings: 6

This soup was great as is, but also great all blended together, and then run through a strainer, and at one point we cooked up some sea food to go in it and that was delicious too since I"m a flexitarian not a vegetarian LOL but for those who are into veggies only, never fear, this is yummy and has a healthy supply of vitamin C for ya!

Let me know what you think!

No comments: