Monday, March 15, 2010

Pineapple Coconut Yum

Today Patch was feeling up to cooking. I encouraged her to wait another day because I don't want her overdoing it, but she was determined. I can't say I blame her, I know what it's like to be forced to rest when you want to be up and at 'em.

She prepared a sweet rice dish which is full of calories and full of yum. When she has made it in the past I have both craved and portioned it out so that the leftovers last for as long as possible and so that I don't use up all my weight watchers points in one sitting. It makes a great breakfast, snack or dessert. So now you've been fairly warned that this may add pounds to your midsection if overindulgence is the key word of your day.

That said, it is gluten-free goodness that she's been making for quite some time without ever trying! I like to notice when things we normally eat are accidentally gluten-free so that Patch can be encouraged that such a change won't be impossible.

Pineapple Coconut Rice  (Gluten, caesin, and soy free)
16 oz coconut milk
1 oz pineapple juice
8 oz rice
8 oz pineapple
4 oz shredded sweetened coconut
2 oz craisens (dried cranberries)

mix coconut and pineapple juice and bring to a boil. stir in the rice and bring it back to a boil, cover and turn to low, simmer rice in coconut milk 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in the reset of the ingredients. Serve warm, or chill and serve.

I prefer this dish reheated on the 2nd day, and patch prefers it served cold. She says that's the way it is "supposed" to be. So the chef has spoken, but with a wink I say, it's your stomach, do whatever tastes right to you!

Related resources:
http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_grains.php#R <<--the down low on rice and gluten
http://oolong.co.uk/veganing.htm <-- breaking down vegan ingredients


1 comment:

Lynn said...

This does sound good. It is the kind of dish that can be enjoyed warm or cool.